Sunday, March 30, 2008

8:30 a.m. Sunday Morning

Good morning everyone. Tracy sat in the chair again this morning about 6:00 a.m. The night nurse, Curtis, was not so amenable to my presence and thus I was not allowed to stay in the room for more than a hello, how ya' doin'. I asked to be allowed to come back in when the Dr's did their assessment, and he said he would ask them. Tracy said she would, too. I guess he said no. But, I made it in before the doctor left and was able to talk to him. He feels Tracy is doing very well, but will probably not move her until tomorrow morning to a regular room (SEE BELOW). This is Dr. Zafero. Tracy is to try sips of liquid today, water or juice, and soft foods like pudding, while she is sitting in the chair. He wants her in the chair a couple of times today, at least. I asked if getting up and moving around could be overdone and he said no, she could do as much as she felt like doing. So, I'm bringing in Richard Simmons (for you literalists, that's a joke).

Mary, the day nurse (had her once all ready - good nurse) asked if there was an elixer pain reliever as Tracy did not like the "drugged" feeling of morphine. Dr. Zafero ordered some Tylenol with Codeine, I believe. Tracy told me she had been asking for only 1/2 the morphine and I asked if this would impede her progress. Mary said, no, she wasn't getting enough morphine for it to matter. She wasn't even sure how the morphine Tracy was getting was controlling any pain. To me that's a good sign, because, on some level, Tracy is managing the pain. She still has some, and only she knows how much, but it just seems to me like she is doing fantastic. Facial swelling is really going down, still there, but not as much. Right side of the face is still non-reactive. Not so much a problem with double vision this a.m. and Dr. Zafero said they were not really concerned about that.

HEY, WAIT A MINUTE. DR. ZAFERO JUST CAME IN AND SAID HE TALKED TO DR. OGHALAI (THE BIG CHEESE) and he said he wants Tracy to go into a regular room. That means no more waiting rooms, for the most part, and visiting hours might be a little different. I don't know which room, but he said it would be on the same floor right around the corner (pretty much where we were on Wednesday after the angiogram). They will move her in a couple of hours. Stay tuned for updates. I aske if she could take a few steps and He said she can, but she would need assistance. We'll see. This is not something we need to be in a terrible hurry about. All right.

You know, it's crazy. When I left Tracy about 8:30 a.m. I needed to go to the bathroom, but I wanted to do this blog first, in spite of nature's strong urging. Had I been in there I might have missed Dr. Zafero. The crazy part is feeling like you can't ever leave, because you're going to miss somebody or something. Truth is, that has happened to me twice all ready and when it does happen, it just feels terrible like I let Tracy down or just missed something for which I am supposed to be responsible; like the pitcher who throws a ball that is hit for a homerun or the fielder who misses the fly ball that decides the game. I don't think it's guilt so myou much, but I guess it can't be anything else. Well pooh, you gotta do what you gotta do.

More when it comes.

Jeff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeff,
you go guy !
paul :)
( lots of friends praying this morning,, be encouraged )

Anonymous said...

Good Morning to all

WOW!! SO GREAT to hear how well Tracy is progressing. I know you are elated that she is going to be in a regular room. Hope she will do well with her nutrition intake. Once again - praying daily for a speedy recovery.

xoxoxox
Kim J

Unknown said...

Good morning, Jeff and Tracy! Sounds like all is going well. It's hard. I'm praying that Tracy not suffer. The codeine in the Tylenol might make Tracy a little dizzy or foggy, too. Sometimes it is hard to tell what's making a patient feel bad, the surgery or the medications. I can't respond to these blogs without putting in my two cents! Waiting for some nutrition to get into our sweetheart so that she feels better and has some strength. Each day is better. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Jeff~
You're doing a fantastic job! Believe me you are in no way letting Tracy down in any way! You are a "Godly" example of a wonderful husband.

Hang in there and be sure to take care of yourself also.

Blessings,
Renee'